Monday, May 7, 2012

Light Italian Pasta & Veggies

OK, lets pretend we like healthy food for a minute. Just for a minute I promise, and then I'll find something else more entertaining to blog about. However, healthier does not mean less tasty. At least in this case.
Many months ago, maybe as much as a year ago, Philadelphia Cream Cheese came out with 'Cooking Creme'. In comes in several flavors, but the one I really enjoy is the Italian Cheese & Herb. There is a new one I would like to try called Roasted Tomato and Basil I think. Anyhow, this is a quick and easy pasta dish that can be thrown together in just a few minutes.
First, boil some noodles. I used egg noodles, but any pasta would work. I used maybe 1 cup of pasta, but if you used a smaller sized pasta, you might want to adjust the amount. The egg noodles do not fit into a measuring cup well. :) Cook the pasta a hair past al dente. Drain & return to pan.
I boiled frozen corn in the pasta water as well, you could use any frozen veggies you liked. I used about 1/2 c frozen corn. I love frozen corn, it is my veggie of choice, but carrots or peas or lima beans, even mixed veggies would all be usable. If you really want to be different you could use brussel sprouts or some such thing. I'm not weird like that, but maybe you are.

Then I added about 1/2 C of the Cooking Creme. Put it right in on top of the warm noodles and veggies. Stir. Add about 1/8th C water, and stir. Cover and turn burner to med-low heat.
I had some frozen turkey breast pieces that I thawed in the microwave and diced. Then I tossed that into the pan with the noodle mixture. Stir until mixed well. Cover and let heat through. If the mixture seems too dry, add a TB or so more water. 

 Here it is dished up. Look at that deliciousness!! It is lightly flavored and creamy. This is a pretty healthy dish. I looked at the serving information. it would be approximately 200 calories total per serving (noodles et all included).

I added about 2 TB shredded parmesan cheese to the top, but it is tasty with or without it. Overall, I had forgotten how much I enjoy this pasta! I like pasta anyway, but sometimes it can be such a heavy meal, and this is actually very light and easy!
OK, that was my effort toward healthy food. Now back to our regularly scheduled unhealthy programming,...
~Kristina

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try that one tonight!!! Kristina, you've got such a flair and you made me laugh. You need your own cooking show. I would rather watch You then half the hacks on the Food Network.

    ReplyDelete